Il-Barri Restaurant has been run by the Sammut family since its opening in the 1940. In the early days, it was a humble coffee shop run by the late Karmnu Sammut and his wife Pawla, where it mainly served the then stationed British servicemen in Malta – and this is precisely when our ‘Fenkata’ was first served.
Over the years, the restaurant underwent several refurbishments, and additional food dishes were introduced to the menu. In spite of the changes which have taken place along the years, our food rationale remains unchanged – traditional, genuine and generous.
In recent years, we have also opened the underground war shelter to the general public – which represents yet another side of our history. Dating back to the 1940’s, the Shelter has served as an abode for many families during War War II. Read more here.
Today, the Restaurant is run by the children and grandchildren of Karmnu and Pawla Sammut, who plan on taking this family affair forward to the next generation.